Habitat Broward’s broader mission is to improve the lives of these families through the power of partnership, education and support, thereby transforming the community. Habitat for Humanity is founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a simple, decent, affordable place to live in dignity and safety.
- Empower partner families through education, resources and support to successfully achieve their personal, academic and professional goals;
- Teach the youth of Habitat families the skills and attitudes needed to make better life choices and break the intergenerational cycle of poverty;
- Increase awareness and educate the community regarding issues related to the affordable housing crisis and what Habitat for Humanity of Broward can do to help;
- Pursue green building certification for Habitat for Humanity of Broward homes in order to make our design more sustainable and eco-friendly; and
- Revitalize and strengthen the community by building affordable homes throughout Broward County.
How it all works....
Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat Broward builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside homeowner (partner) families. Habitat Broward is not a giveaway program; in addition to a down payment and monthly mortgage payments, homeowners invest 500 hours of their own labor (sweat equity) into building their Habitat house and the houses of others. Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable, no-interest loans.
Visit Habitat Broward 's "Get Involved" page to find volunteer and sponsorship opportunities.
For worldwide volunteer opportunities, or to find more ways to become involved visit Habitat for Humanity International.